Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS)
You can claim a refund on goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) that you pay on certain goods you buy in Australia.
TRS is open to all overseas visitors and Australian residents, except for operating air crew.
To claim a refund you must:
- spend $AU300 or more (including GST), this can be a total of multiple purchases;
- purchased the goods no more than 60 days before departing Australia;
- have paid for the goods yourself;
- have an original tax invoice for the goods;
- Wear or carry the goods on board as hand luggage (unless they are liquids, gels or aerosols or oversized or bulky goods which must be checked in) and present them along with your tax invoice, passport and boarding pass to a TRS desk prior to departing.
Arrangements for TRS-claimable Goods in Checked Baggage
- Goods should be worn or carried as hand luggage unless they are liquids, gels or aerosols, or oversized or bulky goods which the airline require to be checked in. Goods to be carried in checked baggage must be presented to the ABF Client Service Counter prior to check in to be sighted and verified by an ABF Officer. The ABF Client Service counter is open 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure time and is located near International Arrivals on the ground floor of the airport.
- After you have passed through departure immigration, go to the TRS facility located in the departures area, where you can lodge your claim.
- To make sure you have enough time to make your TRS claim, you should complete your departure immigration clearance at least 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time of your flight.
For more information visit the Department of Home Affairs website
TRS facility location
The TRS facility at Canberra Airport is located in the international lounge. Please note you cannot enter the international lounge unless you are boarding an international flight from Canberra.