Fasten your seatbelts and get ready for the Canberra Airport Open Day!
The 2018 Open Day will be held on Sunday 8 April 2018, 9am – 3pm at Canberra Airport.
Come and climb aboard a modern plane or helicopter, or take a step back in time with a display from the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society.
There will be something for everyone including thrilling aerial displays from Australia’s Number 1 Aviator – Matt Hall, children’s rides, great food and entertainment for the whole family.
This is a free event for the Canberra community but tickets are essential.
We’re changing things up for 2018, including a new location, free park-and-ride shuttle bus and ticketing system. Therefore we recommend you read all of the information below, even if you’ve been to a Canberra Airport Open Day before.
Date: Sunday 8 April, 2018
Time: 9am – 3pm
Cost: Free but tickets are essential
Tickets: Ticket are limited. Book online via Eventbrite
Where: Canberra Airport, entry via Catalina Drive
Open Day is always very popular. To reduce road congestion we are offering free park-and-ride shuttle buses to and from the airport. We encourage you to take these buses and leave the car behind if possible.
Catching the bus: There will be a free park-and-ride bus service operating from the City bus station and Russell. This service will operate every 10 minutes from 8.30am.
Driving: Parking is available at Majura Park near Catalina Drive. If possible, we encourage all attendees to make use of the Park-and-Ride shuttle bus from the City and Russell.
Accessible parking is available off Nomad Drive, opposite Canberra Helicopters. These car parks allow you to park close to the event area and offer access via hard surfaces.
Canberra Airport Open Day is a family friendly event and we want everyone to have a great day, from our oldest to youngest aviation enthusiast.
Noise: This event includes aerial displays that can produce loud noises. We recommend bringing ear plugs with you.
Facilities: A parents’ room will be available in the event area.
There will be plenty of food stalls at Open Day with options including snacks, sausage sizzles, Peruvian street food, coffee and fresh juices.
An ATM will be available, however, we recommend you bring some cash with you.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your printed tickets
- A hat and sunscreen
- A rain jacket, in case of inclement weather
- Camera/smart phone
- Gold coin donations to enter historic aircraft
- Your love of all things aviation!
WHAT NOT TO BRING
This year’s Open Day will be entirely located within the airfield. Therefore, restrictions apply to what you can and cannot bring.
Do not bring:
- Anything you cannot take on board a domestic flight – this includes pocket knives, nail files and manicure scissors
- Dogs – Dogs are not permitted to attend Canberra Airport Open Day due to its location, assistance animals are permitted
- Excess items – random bag checks will occur throughout the event in all locations, therefore, to help reduce delays, we recommend bringing only what you need
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Please follow directions from Airport Staff & Security
- Please keep off the grass
- Stay within barricaded areas
- Do not touch aircraft displays
- Be mindful of your own and others’ safety
- Please dispose of your rubbish in the bins provided, rubbish can cause a safety hazard to aircraft
- We reserve the right to deny entry to any persons
- You may be requested to open your bags for inspection, random bag checks may occur throughout the event in all locations
- Smoking is not permitted
- Dogs are not permitted, assistance animals excepted