Stephen Byron, Managing Director of Canberra Airport awarded Outstanding Contribution by an Individual at the annual Canberra Region Tourism Awards held on Friday 23 November, 2018.
The National Capital Attractions Association together with supporting partner, Visit Canberra, hosted the awards, celebrating Canberra region’s successful tourism businesses, individuals and institutions. Marked as the most most prestigious event in the Canberra region tourism calendar, the tourism industry was joined by ACT Chief Minister, Andrew Barr.
Dr. Naomi Dale, President of the National Capital Attractions Association acknowledged the contribution of Stephen Byron to the Canberra regional tourism industry. Byron, Managing Director of the Canberra Airport, this year won the award for Outstanding Contribution by an Individual.
Winners on the night included popular national institutions, accommodation, tourist attraction and major events. All Canberra Region category winners will now compete on a national level at the 2018 Qantas Australian Tourism Awards to be held in Launceston in March 2019.
2018 Canberra Region Tourism Awards
- Major Tourist Attractions – National Gallery of Australia
- Tourist Attractions – Questacon, the National Science and Technology Centre
- Cultural Tourism – Royal Australian Mint
- Specialised Tourism Services – Experience AIS
- Visitor Information Services – Canberra and Region Visitors Centre
- Destination Marketing – Destination Southern Highlands – Pie Time
- Tourism Restaurants & Catering Services – Broadbean Catering and Events
- Unique Accommodation – Jamala Wildlife Lodge
- Standard Accommodation – Leumeah Lodge
- Deluxe Accommodation – Little National Hotel
- Luxury Accommodation – Hyatt Hotel Canberra
- Outstanding Contribution by an Individual – Stephen Byron, Canberra Airport
- Markus Gibson-Huck Young Achiever Award – Cassie Dunchue, Visit Canberra
- Visitor Experience Award – Royal Australian Mint.
- Major Festivals and Events – Summernats
- Festivals and Events – Canberra Craft Beer and Cider Festival
- Specialised Tourism Services – Canberra Centre
- Tour and Transport Operators – Dave’s Travel and Events Group
- Markus Gibson-Huck Young Achiever Award – Gabrielle Dinn, Broadbean Catering and Events.