Did you know, Qantas Airways is running direct flights from Canberra to Brisbane return 5 times a week? This is for essential travel only, is permitted to persons who are eligible for an exemption and who have a Queensland Entry Pass.
People eligible for the Queensland Border Pass include:
Those living outside of Queensland who provide critical services to Queensland for
- national/state security
- essential health services
- emergency services
- transport of any goods or freight, by land sea or air
- critical maintenance/repair to critical infrastructure in Queensland
- construction, mining/energy/commercial fishing/agribusinesses (and see below for specific requirements for FIFO workers in these sectors)
- federal, state or local government workers or contractors who are required to enter to Queensland to work
Those exempt on compassionate ground, such as:
- are carers/relatives of dependent individuals in Queensland
- need to obtain essential medical treatment including visiting terminally ill relatives in Queensland
- are attending a funeral
- are interstate boarding school students where school is closed
- are complying with child custody arrangements, including voluntary parenting plans
- are escaping an emergency situation, like domestic and family violence
- are required to comply with the law to travel to Queensland (for example, Family Court, parole/bail conditions etc).
If you fall within one of these categories and need to enter Queensland, you should apply for an entry pass.
Even if a person is a Queensland resident, resident of a border community or an exempt person, they must self-quarantine if they have been in a declared COVID-19 hotspot in Australia in the last 14 days, unless they were in the hotspot for an essential purpose, like going to a funeral, or they need to enter Queensland again for an essential purpose, for example, to work.
People moving to Queensland to take up permanent residence will be allowed to enter but will also be required to self-quarantine for 14 days, which could be at the new residential address.
If a person is entering Queensland from another State or Territory by air in order to transfer to another flight, they are allowed to enter Queensland but must remain in the airport until the time of a transfer to another flight, or self-quarantine in a hotel until the other flight or follow the direction of the relevant authorities and self-quarantine at a nominated premises, for example if a return flight is not available the same day.
Source; Queensland Government – qld.gov.au